Writing Nonfiction Educational Sample

Writing Nonfiction Educational Sample – How School Holiday Plans Made Me A Better Mum

This School Holidays article serves as a writing nonfiction sample to show the practical side of writing. Budding writers, need to get in the habit of writing regularly. The more writing experience you have, the more skills you develop to become the expert writer you have always dreamt of.

Writing- Nonfiction -Sample

Writing Nonfiction Sample

Writing nonfiction falls under the Narrative Writing Style.

ONE lazy Sunday morning at around nine-ish, I knocked softly at Roy’s bedroom door. Roy is my 7-year old son.

Had it been two days ago, I wouldn’t be knocking at such a time like this. Instead, I would be on my way heading back home, returning from my usual early morning school-runs. On getting no reply, I turned the brass doorknob quietly and went inside.

Roy was nicely tucked in bed and fast asleep. He looked so calm and relaxed. I suddenly recollected with a pang of guilt that I was intruding. After summoning enough courage, I tapped him gently on his shoulder to wake him up.

I had to wait for a while to make sure he was wide awake to be paying attention. Then I announced, ‘Wake e Roy! It’s time to take a bath.’

That triggered the outburst. The small boy was not amused at all. He churned out a string of complaints in a high-pitched voice.

“Mum this is not fair! It’s not fair! We are on holiday, am I supposed to bathe every day, even when I’m on holiday? Yesterday I bathed. I even brushed my teeth but I didn’t see Mike bath at all. Why me every day? Today let it be someone else’s turn. Not me! I need a break! It’s a holiday!”

To say the least, I was taken aback. I felt as if I had been stung by a wasp. The directness of his complaint left me short of words.

Mike, he was referring to is his sibling brother. Apparently, there is great sibling rivalry between them. I knew it was pointless to argue with Roy at this particular moment. It was obvious, we were not on the same page. And our grasp of the subject at hand was totally at different wavelengths.

I quickly retreated, closing the door behind me. I hoped to return when fully equipped with some clever strategy to outwit Roy.

Today, was the first day my son was experiencing what it feels like to be on holiday following schools closure, yesterday. It was until this morning that Roy had time to himself to completely have a rest. It seemed thoughtless on my part. No wonder why Roy wouldn’t budge. I thought it was best to leave him alone.

After a while, I went back to him. Finally, I succeeded in sweet-talking him to take a long deserved bath. The following day, Roy was practising his newly-acquired karate kicks in the kitchen. At school, he is a member of the Keep Fit Club.

He hit hard the washing machine door with his right leg. It flung open and fell on the floor. Fortunately, the glass part did not smash into bits and pieces, judging from the sheer force he applied. Instead, the hinge joints connecting it to the machine completely broke.

To make matters worse, I was out-of-pocket that week. I had no alternative but to take the washing to a nearby launderette. Indeed, holidays can be testing times for parents. Unless children are kept busy, parents will be constantly on their tiptoes checking on what their kids are up to.

The best way a parent can handle a holiday perfectly well is to have a plan that works. A plan full of activities with quite a number of visits spread out through the entire school holiday.

That is exactly what I did next. Our holiday scenery kicked off by going to Drayton Manor and Twin Lakes. Most kids absolutely love those two places. If your mission is to create fun family memories, Drayton Manor Park is worth visiting.

The moment we arrived at Drayton Manor Park, we didn’t know where to start. The reason is there were a lot of exciting things going on.

My son, Roy, was not up to the adrenaline pumping fun type of event. He neither was not keen to go for any fast ride. Instead, he preferred a bit of a slower pace.

So, we wandered around the 15-acre zoo. Roy and other kids we met there, were all amazed to find dozens of animals from across the world in Drayton Manor Park.

The variety of animal species was just astounding. My son jumped up and down with excitement. He could not believe the Sumatran Tigers and the other animals we saw were actually real.

Our day did not stop there. I and Roy got transported to the magical island of Sodor with memorable moments. With over 25 rides and attractions, Thomas Land is now bigger and better with Flynn’s Fire Rescue.

If my son was a bit old we would have also gone for the lively educational talks, workshops, events and activity days. These are specially designed for students at all levels.

Our last stopover was in the Grill Inn, located at Drayton Manor Park with mouth-watering home cooked burgers, steaks and a variety of dishes for the whole family.

That day we went home, briskly bathed and retreated to bed. Our next visit took us to the cinemas. We watched, Black Panther, a new film that was fresh from the oven following its release. We had never watched such a captivating movie showing the African traditional side of life. A story about a son’s ascent to the throne following the death of his father.

Roy’s last holiday trip took us to Birmingham for a week-long family conference. My son was thrilled to bits. He had the chance to hang out with other kids from all corners of the UK. They had a fantastic programme which included a dance and singing competition.

Had I not planned, I would have ended up in a similar situation as before. On many occasions, by the time holidays came to an end, I would be counting down the days left, wondering, ”I can’t wait for this day to arrive. The day Roy will be back at school. The beginning of a new phase of peace and tranquillity.”

Thank goodness, this time around, days literally flew by. Time was not on our side to visit all the theme parks and attractions we had lined up for our holiday itinerary. Some of the places we planned to visit include the ones listed below.

Writing Help for Narrative Writing Style

Theme Parks and Attractions

(1) The National History Museum

Of all the museums in London, the National History Museum is the most famous you need to go and see. It’s renowned for its beautiful buildings and spectacular exhibits. Things to look out for include whale skeletons and dinosaurs. If you want to have a deeper understanding of certain things, therefore book a treasure hunt. It’s best suitable for kids with ages starting from 6 years.

(2) Bewilderhood

This 50-acre woodland is situated on the outskirts of Wroxham. It’s a perfect place where you can enjoy lots of outdoor fun: climbing trees, building dens, crossing rope bridges and hiding out in tree houses. This coupled by viewing magical creatures that are dotted all over the place. Also, seasonal events like Halloween lantern parades and Easter eggs hunts.

(3) Cinemas

To break the monotony of just visiting parks only we took the cinema route. Just a word of advice. To cut the costs, look out for deals. For example, 2for1 Thomas Park, Drayton Manor deals.

This article fits in the family story category for a magazine you may be eyeing to submit your manuscript.  Also, it fits perfectly well in the nonfiction creative writing genre. A genre which uses literary styles and techniques to create factually accurate narratives. If you know your markets, as all freelance writers should do, its possible to sell articles similar to ‘How School Holiday Plans Made Me A Better Mum.’ – THE END –

If you have any questions related to this article, How School Holiday Plans Made Me A Better Mum, please leave them below, I will be more than happy to respond as soon as I can.

Get in Touch

12 Comments to “Writing Nonfiction Educational Sample”

1. stefan says:

You’re a good mum, thoughtful of how your son will spend the time of his first holiday.

We have not as many places to visit here. Far away from everything and having a lot of work to do every day. Still our girl has holidays and sometimes it can get really busy, especially when she comes over with all her girl friends and decides to play at our place with them.

I’m glad she can always find something to do. Lately she learned how to cook and really likes to make her own lunch. We got the cleaning to do but for this we often get a surprise snack 🙂

1. Femia says:

Hello, Stefan, thanks so much for taking the time to read my post, ‘How School Holiday Plans Made Me A Better Mum’ and to leave comments.
      You are doing a great job teaching your daughter. It doesn’t matter there are not many places to visit. As long as she will be with you and kept busy. Learning how to cook at a young age is the best thing ever!
      She will not struggle when she moves to university later on.

2. Jay says:

I would have to say, this is a really good piece of write up. I have being a blogger for sometime and I still don’t have that free flow of writing like your portrayed in this article. Your use of words was amazing and the way you narrative your experience with your son in writing is a way I dream to one day also write. It was a good read and kept me hooked till the end.

1. Femia says:

Thank you so much, Jay, for taking the time out your busy schedule to read my post ‘How School Holiday Plans Made Me A Better Mum’ Also, many thanks for the encouraging comment.
      I’m pleased to hear you found this post an enjoyable read.
      All the best with your blogging.

3. Paul says:

Dear Femia,

Thanks a lot for the insightful post and sharing the story of Roy.

Since I was studying in a hostel everyday we need to wake up at 5 AM and on annual leaves I will be coming home. I was the same like Roy when I was doing my schooling and I will sleep even skipping my breakfast.

Your post reminded me my schooling days. Thanks a lot for the great insights on the activities we can do on the holidays. I will implement these ideas with my children.

Theme Parks is my favorite!

Thanks for the guidance on writing Nonfiction article, being a blogger its very helpful for me.

Wishing you much success!

Paul

1. Femia says:

Thank you, Paul, for taking your time to read my post, ‘School Holiday.’ Also, for leaving invaluable comments.
      The fact that once upon a time you were like Roy, brought a smile on my face.
      I’m so happy to know that this post has taken you down memory lane.  I’m even more, chuffed knowing you are a blogger as well. Iron sharpens iron and thanks for your encouraging words.
      All the best for your blogging.

4. zuchii says:

Great write up, You are a prolific writer, very descriptive. Holidays are a very good opportunity for parents and children to spend quality time together.

I totally agree that having a plan or timetable with various activities is a win-win because it can be stressful sometimes when children are more than one and they are all seeking attention. Your trips with your son were real adventures I can bet you guys had fun.

looking forward to watching Black Panther.

1. Femia says:

Hello, Zuchii, thanks so much for your time to read my post,
      ‘How School Holiday Plans Made Me A Better Mum’and your encouraging words.
      I am really pleased with your comments. That’s extremely kind of you.
      Black Panther is one movie not to miss watching. I and Roy have watched it twice so far.
      Once again many thanks.

5. Ngonidzashe Manzwangani says:

Really enjoyed reading your article, its filled with suspense and interesting holiday activities for a parent and child. You mentioned one place I was looking for all this time, “Drayton Manor”. Its a dream place I will have to visit with my two little kids. I have visited some good places like Toronto, Havana etc. This time, I will have to surprise my kids by going the Drayton Manor’s way.

I was just imagining the good times you had with Mike in Drayton Manor, it was quite inspirational to read

Thank you so much for such a great article

Ngoni

1. Femia says:

Hello, Ngoni, thank you very much for sparing your time to read my post ‘How School Holiday Plans Made Me A Better Mum’ and on top of that to leave some invaluable comments.
      I’m glad to hear that you find my post informative.
      Indeed I had a fantastic time with Roy. Those were priceless moments.
      Roy’s feedback was the Drayton Manor Park is the best.
      I have never been to Toronto and Havana. A friend of mine told me Toronto has major attractions not to miss.
      Thanks for sharing.

6. Telma says:

Hello,

This is a very powerful article you wrote here. It is helpful for parents like me. I have the same problem in making my girls get out of bed regularly, it doesn’t need to be holidays.
    One of them, (the 8-year-old) is definitely not a morning person. She screams and kicks every furniture in the room for no reason. The funny part is she does that during school days not on Saturdays or Sundays when she is allowed to stay in bed, but she gets up 7:00 am where there is no need.
    Your Roy is no exception when he tries to skip a shower. My 3 girls do the same as well. The question or phrase “I took a shower yesterday, why do I need to take today?” is very common at my house every day.
    The attractions you managed to visit for the holiday are amazing. You must be very exhausted by now with so many places you visited. I take my girls to a Day Care because I am not so strong like you my dear.
    The next holiday is coming, the break for Christmas. It will be 2 weeks with no school and I am stressing myself so far. This time of the year, normally I also put them in daycare but there is a day where even daycare doesn’t work, like Christmas Eve and Christmas day, New Years evening and day as well so I have to be creative.
    I took them to see Black Panther as well and they loved it. It’s really a good movie that shows a new king trying to be good and a young man trying to get revenge because of what has happened in the past.
    I love some of your tips and I will follow them. Too bad that I am not there in the UK to visit the Drayton Manor Park, but here in US Florida, I am sure we can have lots of suggestions as well. Thank you so much for such an amazing article, I am sure it will help a lot of parents.

Cheers to your success,

1. Femia says:

Hello, Telma, I can’t thank you enough for stopping by, take the time to read my post, ‘How School Holiday Plans Made Me A Better Mum.’ Also, to take your time to write your own story to share  experiences. Its true that a problem shared is a problem solved. I have learned a lot from your experiences as well.
      What I like is knowing that I am not alone, fellow mums like you are also going through similar challenges.
      What motivates me is knowing that its only a phase. The day care idea is quite brilliant.
      I’m glad you found the article a good read. Once again many thanks.