How Do I Start Writing – Start With Free Writing

How Do I Start Writing – Start With Free Writing

I’m Stuck How Do I Start Writing?

This is one of the most frequently asked questions by people new to writing (newbies). Honestly speaking, there is no prescribed formula for you to start writing. What works for one person might not work for you. I personally think to start writing begin with free writing.

Free Writing

Free writing is a prewriting technique in which a person writes continuously for a set period without regard to spelling, grammar, or topic. It produces raw, often unusable material, but helps writers overcome blocks of apathy and self-criticism. Some writers use the technique to collect initial thoughts and ideas on a topic, often as a preliminary to formal writing.

This may not make sense to you. To support my point of view I will share with you the journey I have travelled. A case study of how I started writing.

JOINING THE BIBLE SCHOOL – MY CASE STUDY

My journey started the moment I joined a bible school class to study the word of God. The class met once every week for lessons. I had the most wonderful opportunity to meet with people from diverse cultures. With no time the group had jelled together.

However, it was sad to go our separate ways the time the bible course ended. We organized a small event for our graduation ceremony. I felt proud of what we had achieved as a wonderful team. I thought to myself, ‘An event of this nature cannot go unnoticed. What if it gets recorded for the memory lane? Surely, no reporter will turn up to cover a community event like this of low profile. What if I record it myself? ‘Writing an article of the Bible school is the next thing I remember doing. Setting the ball rolling. My writing began with the article below.

THE BIBLE SCHOOL COMES TO INFIELDS

Members of CLG church welcomed the launch of a bible school in Infields, on 1 January this year. This latest development comes in the wake of many programmes being initiated by this church to spread the gospel to all nations.

The bible school conducted its first lessons on 2 January 2007, following the official opening by the Reverend James Gape, the previous day. The school doors are open to students from varying sects of the Christian faith. It is an inter-denominational institution. On offer, is a comprehensive package of modules: Homiletic, Bible Synthesis and Doctrinal Foundations, among others.

On successfully completing the programme, students are awarded a diploma, recognized as a teaching qualification by other organizations. Two lessons are run both in the mornings and in the evenings, every Tuesday of the week. The morning lesson kicks off from 10 to 1 o’clock.

The evening sessions begin at 6 o’clock and last for four hours. Tuition fees are quite affordable and each student pays £65.00 only, per semester. Students learn in a free and most relaxed atmosphere where everyone has the chance to express their views. In terms of reading materials, constant supplies of lecture notes plus well-researched handouts are always at students’ disposal.

See what students had to say, “The bible school has had such a huge impact on my life. My life has been completely transformed. I feel as if I’ve been given a second chance to live, a second time to set my life on the right footing” writes Effie Moyo.

“Many thanks to the bible school organisers. I have learned relevant skills in time management. Before, I could hardly spare time to read the bible. It’s quite a transformation.” Rachel Murphy.

“I find the wisdom in college lessons invaluable. Whenever I had a meltdown, the lecturer was on hand to support me and talk through it.’ Alison Bates.

“I am not the same person I was the time I came up the drive’ said James Murphy.

“It’s a specially designed type of teaching, preparing people for cross-cultural mission. The ethos is practical and equipping rather than academic and a focus on understanding Biblical principles.’ Pat Adams.

“The bible school lessons have made me suddenly realize that Christians are on a journey. No one knows the way to get to Heaven, except Jesus. It will be naïve to embark on this journey without a map.

The bible is indeed the map. It is a living word, written by people inspired by the Holy Spirit. My view is that we need to go beyond the simple reading of this book and study it with proper guidance that comes from trained teachers”. Pete McLeay.

“I acknowledge the role our church has always played in trying to keep our Christian lives lubricated. A wide range of activities lined up throughout each week gives members a forum for fellowship.

For instance, the women prayer meetings on Tuesdays, bible studies in people’s homes every Wednesdays over a cup of tea and all-night prayers on Fridays. Undoubtedly, all these highlights the emphasis the church has put on enhancing people’s spiritual lives.

Even though we had a diverse programme of this nature which provides a niche for every Christian, I still failed to reap any benefits. I simply failed to fit in. My extremely busy lifestyle made it impossible to do so. However, the introduction of the Bible school lessons has changed my life. How the timetable is structured is amazing. It seems it has been tailor-made to accommodate me.

“Through the powerful teachings of the word by the renowned lecturer, Pastor E. Mayor, students have not only learned about the bible, but also how to apply the word of God to their personal lives. The invaluable counselling sessions that accompany lessons are an additional bonus.

“I now have peace of mind and feel confident that I now have most answers to life’s pressing problems. I have grown from strength to strength through the three-hour lessons every week. I feel proud that for once in my lifetime I’m able to set aside time to learn more about God.” Betty Kale.
– THE END –

I shared this article with the rest of my colleagues. Fortunately, we all had managed to remain in touch through a Facebook Group we had formed. By then, it was quite apparent my written work was not yet up to standard. It was riddled with grammatical errors plus all the imperfections that come with being a novice writer. Despite that, I received the most amazing feedback.

The positive feedback unleashed the zeal to continue writing. Later, I decided to launch a church newsletter which I am still writing to this date. I have gained more confidence with each new newsletter that I publish. Looking back, it all seems surreal. I have grown from strength to strength. Each time I write a new newsletter, I do so aiming to make some improvements. I have made really good progress as a result.

WHAT ARE THE CHALLENGES NEW WRITERS FACE?

I have come across reports saying the most challenging hurdle faced by new writers is how to start to write. In my case study, real progress was set in motion the moment I started writing. Of course, I still had issues with my grammar and spellings but that did not stop me. If I had not started and decided to perfect my grammar first, I don’t think I would have received any form of feedback to encourage me to continue writing. When you continue to write regardless of how inexperienced you are, you create more room for self-improvement.

Start Writing Today!

Get the ball rolling. Start writing now! Write whatever comes to mind. Don’t allow your lack of self-belief stop you from putting your work into the world.

Hopefully, this post was informative enough to give you a picture of how you can start to write. There is no proven formula that works. I believe it all begins the moment you start off with free writing. The grammar and spellings will be attended to afterwards.

Do you want to start a blog write every day?
I have learned how to blog for a living
Online Writing

Let me know if there is anything you want me to clarify further please feel free to leave your questions below. I will be more than happy to get back to you as soon as I can. Also, feel free to share your views and opinions.

14 Comments to “How Do I Start Writing – Start With Free Writing”

1. Emmanuel says:

This was a great read, as it got me glued to my seat. What I loved most when reading this article was the journey you took me on as a reader. From your humble beginnings as a child with a passion and a dream to you being a confident writer later on in life for your local church. It was truly inspiring and taught me a few things too!

1. Zegu says:

Hi, Emmanuel, thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to leave me a comment.I am pleased that my story has inspired you. Thanks again for your kind words.
      Looking back to where I started, it wasn’t easy to begin writing. I am still polishing up my writing skills. The difference now is I’m not worried anymore about what people will say.
      Through this post, my aim is to help someone out there extremely talented but is stopped from writing by fear, which in turn breeds lack of confidence.

2. Danny says:

You know, I think you touched on the very thing that stops everyone from doing anything they have a desire to do. It is just the failure to launch…due to fear of so-called failure.
    I truly believe that failure does not exist and that failure is just a term made up by people, who care too much about what other people will think of them if they don’t hit the bulls-eye on the first try.
    With each throw, we improve our aim. We just need to keep trying. You had the courage to start in spite of what you felt about your short comings, but you overcome them. Be courageous and keep writing and I’ll keep reading.

Thanks

1. Femia says:

Thank you so much, Danny, for taking your time to leave some invaluable comments. I completely agree with you on the issue of failure that it is just a term with no substance.
      We perfect ourselves through practice and making continuous efforts to learn until we get to the level we are aiming to reach.
      Once again, thank you for the encouragement. Indeed, I will continue to write!

3. charles says:

I have been inspired by your bible school story. For me, it goes to show that to be good at writing we tend to write well when we are writing about things we are passionate about or things we like and are familiar with. Its easy to write on such things and ideas will just flow non stop.
    Similar to other processes like learning how to drive, you get better through practical’s and doing more of them.
    Writing gets better with more practice as well.
    Well said and I feel I can write well too!
    Do you mind including me on your newsletter circulation list?

1. Femia says:

Hello, thanks so much for sparing your time to leave some comments.
      I am pleased to hear you have been inspired by my post.
      I have learned that if someone is passionate about writing no matter what background they may have, with practice, one day they will eventually get there to become an excellent writer.
      I will certainly include you on my newsletter circulation list. Please complete the contact form and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

4. Viljoen says:

I have also been writing for a long time and there are 2 tips that I might recommend. The first is to read as much as possible which will teach you new terms. The second is to use an app called Grammarly. This app checks for grammar and punctuation. With these 2 tips, you will be well on your way to become a better writer. It also takes some practice to get better.

1. Zegu says:

Hello, Viljoen, thanks so much for taking your time to leave me some valuable tips on how to start writing.

I will start using the Grammarly tool to solve my grammar spelling problems once and for all.

Also, reading as many books and articles as much as possible. This will definetely widen my vocabulary horizon.

Once again, thanks for stopping by. I appreciate.

5. Hillary says:

Thank you so much for your open and honesty testimony and for sharing with us your journey on how to start writing. The route you took is interesting and shows how brave you are.

I admit it’s not easy to write in another language if English is not your native language.

The fact that you speak English as a second language did not deter you. I find the way you write is good. You write clear and perfect English. So, I would like to congratulate you on that one.

I have checked your About Me page. It says a lot about how resilient you are in living your dreams. Like you said you hope to get my works published. I can’t wait to see some of your published work. All the best!

1. Zegu says:

Hello, Hillary, first I want to say thank you for taking your time to leave some comments. I appreciate.
      You are right, its not easy to write in a second language as at times it limits me as a writer to express myself fully and write in an engaging way.
      I feel encouraged by your comments. I will continue to write and also read other renowned authors’ work.
      Once again, thanks for stopping by.

6. Joseph says:

Thank you very much for this article where you open- up about your journey on how to start writing.
    It was not easy to begin with but worth it. I agree with you on having the courage to just start writing whether it makes sense or not. Then improve later what you would have started.
    Many people died with novels still locked up in their heads because of fear to start writing and fear of what people say or think.
    I will bookmark this article for future reference.

1. Zegu says:

Hi, Jo, many thanks for having the time to leave me some encouraging words.
      How to start writing is the main issue people struggle with. Once someone starts to write, it becomes easy to refine their writing through practice, learning and engaging with writers who are doing well.
      Thanks, again for stopping by!

7. Jane says:

Thank you so much, Femia, for sharing your personal journey on how you started to write. It all goes to show you care so much about other writers who maybe struggling with a similar issue, How To Start Writing.
    I believe people are not born writers. Through encouragement coupled with having self-belief that writing skill lying within them will begin to unfold. It all starts from within.
    Like you stated, you had a deep personal conviction that writing was for you and this was from a very age.

1. Femia says:

Hello, Jane, I am humbled by your kind words.
      My intention is help someone experiencing the problem I once had but managed to overcome it through advice.I am now giving back the kindness I once received.
      I agree with you, not all people are born writers. Some acquire the skill through learning in various forms. We learn each day from our surroundings. Personally, I look at writing as a way of reflecting what we see, do and believe in.The only difference, writers reflect in words.