How Do I Start Writing – Start With Free Writing

Writing Help to Start Writing

I'm Stuck How Do I Start Writing?

How do I start writing? This is one of the most frequently asked questions by people completely new to writing (newbies). Honestly speaking, there is no prescribed formula for you to start writing.

What works for one person might not work for you. I personally think to start writing start with free writing.

Free writing is a prewriting technique in which a person writes continuously for a set period without regard to spelling, grammar, or topic. It produces raw, often unusable material, but helps writers overcome blocks of apathy and self-criticism. Some writers use the technique to collect initial thoughts and ideas on a topic, often as a preliminary to formal writing.
Writing Help for Beginners In Practical criticism
Wikipedia
Definition

This may not make sense to you. I will share my case study to show you how I have travelled this journey. A case study of how it all started.

Joining The Bible School - A Case Study

My journey started the moment I joined a bible school class. A group of people who had come together to study the word of God.

Our class met once every week for lessons. I recall having a fantastic time. I had the opportunity to meet with people from diverse cultures and with no time the group had jelled together.

However, it was sad to go our separate ways the time the bible course ended. We organised a small event for our graduation ceremony. We all felt proud of what we had achieved as a team.

I thought to myself, ‘An event of this nature can’t pass unnoticed. Surely, no reporter will turn up to cover a community event of low profile like this. What if I record it myself for the memory lane?’

Writing an article on the Bible school is the next thing I remember doing. And that set the ball for me. The article below was my first  attempt to write something.

THE BIBLE SCHOOL COMES TO INFIELDS

Members of Christian Life Group (CLG) church welcomed the launch of a bible school in Infields, on 1 January this year. This latest development comes in the wake of many programmes being initiated by this church to spread the gospel to all nations.

The bible school conducted its first lessons on 2 January 2007, following its official opening by Reverend James Gape, the previous day.

In his opening address, this is what Reverend James Gape said.

“I acknowledge the role our church has always played in trying to keep our Christian lives lubricated. A wide range of activities lined up throughout each week gives members a forum for fellowship. For instance, the women prayer meetings on Tuesdays, bible studies in people’s homes every Wednesdays over a cup of tea and all-night prayers on Fridays. Undoubtedly, all these highlights the emphasis the church has put on enhancing people’s spiritual lives.
Writing Help For Beginners
James Gape
Reverend

The school doors are open to students from different sects of the Christian faith. Its an inter-denominational institution.

On offer, is a comprehensive package of modules including Homiletic, Bible Synthesis and Doctrinal Foundations, among others.

On completing the programme successfully, students will be awarded a diploma, recognisable by other organisations as a teaching qualification.

Two lessons are run, one in the mornings and the other, in the evenings, every Tuesday of the week.

The morning lesson kicks off from 10 to 1 o’clock. The evening sessions begin at 6 o’clock and run for four hours.

Tuition fees are quite affordable. Each student pays £65.00 only per semester.

Students learn in a free and very relaxed atmosphere where everyone has the chance to express their views.

In terms of reading materials, student are always getting constant supplies of lecture notes plus well-researched handouts.

Read what students had to say about their learning experiences.

''The bible school has had such a huge impact on my life. My life has been completely transformed and I feel as if I’ve been given a second chance to live. Another chance to set my life on the right track and my priorities right,” writes Effie Moyo.
Writing Help For Beginners
Effie Moyo
Student
“Many thanks to the bible school organisers. I've learned important skills in time management. Before joining the school, I could hardly spare time to read the bible. It’s quite a transformation.”
Writing Help For Beginners
Rachel Murphy
Student
“I find the wisdom in bible lessons invaluable. Whenever I had a meltdown, the lecturer was on hand to support me and talk through it.'
Writing Help For Beginners
Alison Bates
Student
“I'm not the same person I was the time I came up the drive' said James Murphy. Through the powerful teachings of the word by the lecturer, Pastor E. Mayor, students have not only learned about the bible. They've also learned how to apply the word of God into their personal lives. The invaluable counselling sessions that accompany lessons are an additional bonus.''
Writing Help For Beginners
James Murphy
Student
“The bible lessons are designed for a special type of teaching to prepare people for cross-cultural mission. The ethos are practical and equipping rather than academic. I love that they focus on understanding Biblical principles.'
Writing Help For Beginners
Pat Adams
Student
''The bible is indeed the map. It is the living word written by people who were inspired by the Holy Spirit. My view is we need to go beyond the simple reading of this book and study it with proper guidance that comes from trained teachers.”
Writing Help For Beginners
Pete McLeay
Student
“The bible school lessons have made me suddenly realise that Christians are on a journey. No one knows the way to get to Heaven except through Jesus. It will be naive to get on this journey without a map, the bible.
Writing Help For Beginners
John Doe
Student
Although I've been leading a Christian life, I failed to see the benefits in my life. My extremely busy lifestyle made it impossible to do so. However, the introduction of the Bible school lessons has changed my life. How the timetable has been structured is amazing. It seems it has been tailor-made to accommodate me.
Writing Help For Beginners
Mary Mick
Student
“I now have peace of mind and feel confident that I now have some answers to life’s pressing problems. I've grown from strength to strength through the three-hour lessons every week. I feel proud that for once in my life I’m able to set aside time to learn more about God.”
Writing Help For Beginners
Betty Kale
Student

Fortunately, we all have managed to keep in touch up to this date. We have our own Facebook group, we formed back then.

I shared this article with the rest of my school mates on our group.

By then, my written work was not yet developed and was riddled with grammatical mistakes and everything that comes with being a novice writer.

It seemed my mates were blind to all those imperfections. I received the most amazing feedback.

The positive feedback unleashed the zeal inside me to continue writing.

Later, I decided to launch a church newsletter. I’m still writing this newsletter to this date.

Looking back, I’ve gained more confidence with each new newsletter that I publish. It all seems surreal. I’ve seen myself growing from strength to strength.

I try my best to make improvements with each new newsletter that I write.

WHAT ARE THE CHALLENGES NEW WRITERS FACE?

I have come across reports saying the most challenging hurdle new writers come face to face with is knowing how to start to write.

Looking at my case study, real progress was set in motion the moment I started to write something. I still had issues with my grammar and spellings but that did not stop me.

If I had not started to write that bible school article waiting to perfect my grammar first, I don’t think I would have received the kind of feedback I had which encouraged me to continue writing.

When you continue to write regardless of how inexperienced you are, you create room for self-improvement.

Start Writing Today!

Get the ball rolling. Start to write now! Write whatever comes to your mind.

Don’t allow your lack of self-belief stop you from putting your work out there in the world.

Hopefully, you find this post informative in relation to how to start to write. I think there is no proven formula that works but it all begins the moment you start off with free writing.

The grammar and spellings will be attended to at a later stage.

Let me know if there is anything you want me to clarify further in relation to, ‘How do I start writing – Start with free writing.’ Please feel free to leave your questions below. I will be more than happy to get back to you as soon as I can. Also, feel free to share your views and opinions.

What Are You Still Waiting For?
Enroll Now for Online Entrepreneur Certification
And Start Working from Home.

Writing Help For Beginners

16 Comments to “How Do I Start Writing – Start With Free Writing”

1. Emmanuel says:

This was a great read, as it got me glued to my seat.

What I loved most when reading this article was the journey you took me on as a reader.

From your humble beginnings as a child with a passion and a dream to you being a confident writer later on in life for your local church.

was truly inspiring and taught me a few things too!

1. Zegu says:

Hi, Emmanuel, thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to leave me a comment.

I am pleased that my story has inspired you. Thanks again for your kind words.

Looking back to where I started, it wasn’t easy to begin writing. I am still polishing up my writing skills.

The difference now is I’m not worried anymore about what people will say.

Through this post, my aim is to help someone out there extremely talented but is stopped from writing by fear, which in turn breeds lack of confidence.

2. Danny says:

You know, I think you touched on the very thing that stops everyone from doing anything they have a desire to do.

It is just the failure to launch…due to fear of so-called failure.

I truly believe that failure does not exist and that failure is just a term made up by people, who care too much about what other people will think of them if they don’t hit the bulls-eye on the first try.

With each throw, we improve our aim. We just need to keep trying.

You had the courage to start in spite of what you felt about your shortcomings, but you overcome them. Be courageous and keep writing and I’ll keep reading.

Thanks

1. Femia says:

Thank you so much, Danny, for taking your time to leave some invaluable comments.

I completely agree with you on the issue of failure that it is just a term with no substance.

We perfect ourselves through practice and making continuous efforts to learn until we get to the level we are aiming to reach.

Once again, thank you for the encouragement.

Indeed, I will continue to write!

3. charles says:

I have been inspired by your bible school story.

For me, it goes to show that to be good at writing we tend to write well when we are writing about things we are passionate about or things we like and are familiar with.

It’s easy to write on such things and ideas will just flow non stop.

Similar to other processes like learning how to drive, you get better through practical’s and doing more of them.

Writing gets better with more practice as well. Well said and I feel I can write well too!

Do you mind including me on your newsletter circulation list?

1. Femia says:

Hello, thanks so much for sparing your time to leave some comments.

I am pleased to hear you have been inspired by my post.

I have learned that if someone is passionate about writing no matter what background they come from, with more practice, one day they will eventually get there and become an excellent writer.

Where there is a will, there is a way!

I will certainly include you on my newsletter circulation list.

Please complete the contact form below and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

4. Viljoen says:

I have also been writing for a long time and there are 2 tips that I might recommend.

The first is to read as much as possible which will teach you new terms.

The second is to use an app called Grammarly.

This app checks for grammar and punctuation.

With these 2 tips, you will be well on your way to become a better writer.

It also takes some practice to get better.

1. Zegu says:

Hello, Viljoen, thanks so much for taking your time to leave me some valuable tips on how to start writing.

I will start using the Grammarly tool to solve my grammar spelling problems once and for all.

Also, reading as many books and articles as much as possible. This will definetely widen my vocabulary horizon.

Once again, thanks for stopping by. I appreciate.

5. Hillary says:

Thank you so much for your open and honesty testimony and for sharing with us your journey on how to start writing. The route you took is interesting and shows how brave you are.

I admit it’s not easy to write in another language if English is not your native language.

The fact that you speak English as a second language did not deter you. I find the way you write is good. You write clear and perfect English. So, I would like to congratulate you on that one.

I have checked your About Me page. It says a lot about how resilient you are in living your dreams. Like you said you hope to get my works published. I can’t wait to see some of your published work. All the best!

1. Zegu says:

Hello, Hillary, first I want to say thank you for taking your time to leave some comments. I appreciate.
      You are right, its not easy to write in a second language as at times it limits me as a writer to express myself fully and write in an engaging way.
      I feel encouraged by your comments. I will continue to write and also read other renowned authors’ work.
      Once again, thanks for stopping by.

6. Joseph says:

Thank you very much for this article where you open- up about your journey on how to start writing.
    It was not easy to begin with but worth it. I agree with you on having the courage to just start writing whether it makes sense or not. Then improve later what you would have started.
    Many people died with novels still locked up in their heads because of fear to start writing and fear of what people say or think.
    I will bookmark this article for future reference.

1. Zegu says:

Hi, Jo, many thanks for having the time to leave me some encouraging words.
      How to start writing is the main issue people struggle with. Once someone starts to write, it becomes easy to refine their writing through practice, learning and engaging with writers who are doing well.
      Thanks, again for stopping by!

7. Jane says:

Thank you so much, Femia, for sharing your personal journey on how you started to write. It all goes to show you care so much about other writers who maybe struggling with a similar issue, How To Start Writing.
    I believe people are not born writers. Through encouragement coupled with having self-belief that writing skill lying within them will begin to unfold. It all starts from within.
    Like you stated, you had a deep personal conviction that writing was for you and this was from a very age.

1. Femia says:

Hello, Jane, I am humbled by your kind words.
      My intention is help someone experiencing the problem I once had but managed to overcome it through advice.I am now giving back the kindness I once received.
      I agree with you, not all people are born writers. Some acquire the skill through learning in various forms. We learn each day from our surroundings. Personally, I look at writing as a way of reflecting what we see, do and believe in.The only difference, writers reflect in words.

8. James says:

Glad I found this article as I’m now one chapter into writing my first book!

You’re totally right – if you want to be a writer you have to just start writing! I wrote a load of short stories (usually around 2000 words) before starting my novel.

This really helped as it improved my writing flow and voice. I also learnt that you have to delete a lot of what you write – and that’s ok because it’s there. You can’t edit something that doesn’t exist! Thanks!

1. Femia says:

Hi, James, many thanks for the time to read my post, ‘How Do I Start Writing? and leaving some encouraging feedback.

I’m so pleased to hear about your own experiences as a writer. I love the idea of breaking it into stories – that way it’s manageable.

I completely agree with you that the process a writer has to go through is long. It needs the patience to continue writing until everything is perfect.

All the best for your book writing project. Have you found a publisher or you’re using the Kindle online platforms?