At this stage you should have built your website by now. Congratulations for coming this far! In this post I will share the best 5 tips on how to setup a website for your blog including other preliminary measures you need to take.
Why your business need a website?
My previous post, Build your own niche website, touched on the importance of a website for your internet business and the relevance of choosing a reliable web hosting service. And why its important to create a website on a reputable platform.
- It is important to grasp the process of setting up your website step by step so that you are able to access your website manually and automatically.
- Equally important is to have information on how to use features at the back office of your website.
- The back office is where you find menus for posts and pages for content creation.
- You need to do a couple of things. Activate plugins All in One SEO and EWWW Image Optimizer Plugin.
- Delete a few default dummy content that comes automatically added to every website when it is installed.Why delete them? Because you no longer need them. example, the sample page, sample post and sample comment.
How to set up a blog website
First things first. Choose a web host to set-up your website with. After finding host service you need to:
- Choose Domain Privacy Protection.
- To back up your site in the event you lose your work one day I recommend Site Backup Pro only for $ 1.99 per month.
The process of setting up a blog is easy to follow. Its made more easy especially by using a guide to lead you.
- You need to get accustomed to how to access your website and check for available updates. Updates come in 2 forms.
- These are WordPress plugin updates and Theme updates.
- You simply click the button to take you to an overview of all updates.
- You must continue to do these updates as and when they come.
Setting up A WordPress Technology Website
Assuming your website is based on WordPress technology, set up your website and make effort to get acquainted with the back office.
WordPress is an open source platform and the infrastructure of most websites. If your website is WordPress based, the first step is to activate these plugins.
Task 1: Login Into Your Website Back Office
Use the “Log In!” button ). You will automatically see all the users associated with your website, then you can log into your website.
You can also find your website login details, username, and password within the Details link on your SiteManager dashboard.
Task 2: Activate and Update Your Plugins
After you’ve logged in, you can see your WordPress administration dashboard for your website).
Have you logged into a WordPress website before?
Don’t worry if you haven’t, you will get the hang of this after going through this article.
Did you know that WordPress is the most powerful and widely used website platform in the world? WordPress ‘It is used by over 30% of ALL websites (millions) and it also has a wide range of “add-ons” known as plugins that you can use extend the functionality of your website.’
It depends with who you choose as your web host. Other web hosts will pre-install two of the most useful plugins with your website automatically.
- Your first step is going to be activating these plugins.
- Then, click on the Plugins tab within the menu.
- Then activate the “All in One SEO” and “EWW Image Optimizer” plugins. Just click “Activate” button.
- After clicking Activate, your plugins are now “activated” and ready to go. The All in One SEO plugin takes a little of set-up.
Task 3: Delete Default Posts, Pages and Comments.
Every new WordPress website that you install will come with “default” or dummy content that is added with every website install. Get rid of this content so that you can start creating content relevant to your niche.
- Firstly, delete the default post that is added with each website.
- Click on the Posts button, inside the side menu.
- This will take you to the posts page where you will see a list of all the posts on your website.
- Mouse over” the post area. Once you see the post management buttons, click the “Trash” button to delete the default “Hello World!” post. Repeat the same process with the “Pages” link.
Please note that default Pages and Posts, at times may not be there. If so, just move on.
CHOOSING WEB HOSTING
Every website needs a server for it to be fully functional. Let me explain how it works.
A web host helps you by selling you space on its server to hold the data for your website. And to make the data available, the server’s job is to store your blog data and to get it transferred.A server powers your website and troubleshoots when it’s necessary. Your website can’t operate without a server because this is where your website is hosted.
FREE Hosting Service
Having adequate capital for starting your business is tricky at times simply because you will be trying to accomplish many things to get started. So, money doesn’t come easy for business start ups.
However, you are free to choose the way you want to have your hosting. One of the options is to choose a FREE host service. My advice is you are better off starting with a basic package. You can always upgrade later to premium level when your blog has progressed.
Website Hosting Providers
Most people prefer their websites to be hosted either on the GoDaddy or Site Build platforms. I have listed a few hosting companies for you to consider such as BlueHost, GoDaddy, Site Build, Blogger and SiteRubix.
Bluehost is liked by many people because of the ease by which one can get started with blogging using WordPress. It has a one click quick WordPress installation function and its highly recommended for blogging.
GoDaddy offers good service with lots of incentives such as discounts.
The Site Builder platform is known for its most advanced technology. Highly recommended for solid, long term and sustainable business online. It automatically generates a sitemap for your website and submits it to the big three (Google, Yahoo and Bing) to ensure all your web pages are indexed on search engine listings.
Blogger is a popular blogging platform which is very user-friendly and accommodates people with few computer skills. Create a Google account at Google.com to sign up.
SiteRubix is one in a million, a web host with state-of-the-art technology, most advanced with a good reputation. When you sign up on its platform you will get access to its powerful and unparalleled hosting in the WordPress industry.
It takes you less than 30 seconds to build a stunning website which is mobile friendly ready to generate revenue. If you choose to install your website on the SiteRubix platform, it automatically pre-installs 2 most useful plugins for your blog.
DO YOUR RESEARCH FIRST
Before you settle for one web host, do some research online to look at templates and features available on various website platforms where you are looking for free to web hosting.
Did you know that WordPress is among the most popular publishing platforms in the entire world? If I were you I would start with WordPress because its FREE and it is set up in a way that publishes content easily. WordPress platform has plenty of customisable templates you can make use of with features to suit your own taste.
Hopefully, this post leaves you with ample information on How to set up a blog website. If you have any questions in relation to Setting Up Your Website, leave them below . I will be more than happy to get back to you as soon as possible. Also, feel free to share your own experiences. We all learn from each other.
Below is a video walk-through showing you the process of setting up your website. Click play to watch the video below.
RECAPP of Start A Blog Process
I’m glad you’ve completed the setup stage for your website. The next step is to get your site ready for Search Engines. To learn more about how to Activate your “Plugins” and the benefits of plugins (feature extensions) installed automatically with your website, read the next post.